It Was a Sign

NaNoWrimo
Yesterday, I started writing again. You may have heard about NaNoWriMo, National Novel Writing Month. Every year on November 1, hundreds of thousands of people around the world begin to write, determined to end the month with 50,000 words of a new novel. There are groups, prizes, emails galore, and goals. I’ve registered for it twice. I must confess, I was a dropout after only a few thousand words. But, I didn’t want another November. to come and go without an effort to get closer to 50,000.

The other day, I opened an email and read: 

Calvin Coolidge, the 30th president of the United States gave our world a powerful insight when he said: "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press on! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

Then, I opened the email from a creative writer whose blog I subscribe to. “Join me, Monday, November 1 – 5 and write every day from 12:00 – 12:30 pm.

I took the two as a sign that I should write. Everyday. 

I called my friend Martha from my writing group (more about the group in another post) and asked her if she would join me this month for our own writing challenge. She agreed. I created a spreadsheet for us to keep track of the number of words we write. 

Yesterday was our first day. At noon, I logged into Five Days of Flow. The goal is to learn how to easily drop into Flow-state and feel AMAZING each time I write. My focus for the 30-minute block of time was to write this post. To see if I can find some creative juices and make them flow.

My goal is to write every day in November. To get closer to the completion of my Cozy Mystery and record the number of words. Every day in November Martha and I will watch our totals change as we increase our word count.

Since I last posted, good grief, has it really been nearly three years? I retired. Covid keeps me home. I need to use the time to my advantage. Netflix can wait, I have a mystery to solve.

How about you? Have you seen a sign? Is there a goal waiting for you to accomplish? 

No comments:

Post a Comment